Play ball! is my first animated film. I made it
at the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design as my graduating film.
It is about dealing with fate's curve balls when life does not proceed
according to a deeply ingrained set of assumptions. To this day
I can't say I understand everything in this film.
The animation was drawn on paper using water soluble graphite and
pencil crayons. I started working on the sound and music almost
as soon as I started drawing. Since the school had a sound studio
I was able to record myself singing into a four track tape recorder.
I also experimented with the sound effects by reversing them or
altering the speed.
- Yorkton Short Film and Video Festival,
Golden Sheaf Award for Best Animation.
Arbour Film Festival,
Anne Arbor, Michigan.
Chosen for Festival Tour.
- Athens International Film and Video Festival, Athens, Ohio.
- Festival International de Cinema de Animacao, Espino,Portugal.
Film and Video Festival,
Awarded Best Non-commercial Animation.
- Uppsula Film Festival, Uppsula, Sweden.
- In-Sight'90, Edmonton, Alberta.
- B.C. Student Film and Video Festival, Chilliwack, B.C.
Twentieth Canadian Student Film Festival, Montreal, P.Q.